Happiness is the greatest wealth one can accumulate. Good health is a vital currency of this fortune. Keeping body and mind in good condition, especially in trying times, is imperative if you wish to lead a happy life. Exercising outdoors in the fresh air is one of the most energizing experiences that you can have. But right now, the current stay-at-home requirements related to the COVID-19 pandemic make that difficult or impossible. But you don’t have to abandon working out altogether. That’s because there are many great fitness workouts that you can do at home.
The benefits of fitness workouts
First, let’s examine some of the benefits of fitness workouts in general:
- Physical workouts, particularly those focused on strength and endurance, can help us maintain a healthy weight by burning calories. When you create a calorie deficit (burn more than you consume), you will lose body fat.
- Exercise also helps to keep a host of medical problems at bay, like depression, diabetes, osteoporosis, many kinds of cancer, heart problems, and others.
- One of the biggest benefits of exercise is that it helps bring about a “feel-good” factor that may, in turn, combat stress.
- The increase in blood circulation due to physical activities improves appearance, thereby boosting self-confidence and self-esteem.
- The increase in blood circulation also helps tissues absorb more oxygen and nutrients which in turn boosts the cardiovascular system, leading to more energy and enthusiasm.
Why fitness workouts that you can do at home make sense
And now let us explore why fitness workouts at home make a lot of sense even after the lockdown is over and we return to “normal” life:
- It costs significantly less than a gym membership in the long run. Even if you buy workout equipment (such as free weights, resistance bands, TRX straps, or a treadmill), it is a one-time cost. Gym membership, on the other hand, is a recurring monthly expense.
- Time is another important factor. If you work out at home, you don’t have to spend time driving to the gym and looking for parking. And, time saved can also be money saved if you utilize that time for other productive work.
- When you exercise at home, you can choose a time that suits you as you need not worry about the times when the is gym open, or classes are available. This makes it easier to follow your workout routine with greater regularity.
- You do not have to wait for your turn at the treadmill or workstation during peak hours which is often the case at the gym.
- The home environment is often cleaner and healthier to do workouts. There is no chance of catching a virus from another sick gym member – one of the reasons that most gyms were shut down during the lockdown phase of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Fitness workouts at home give you the privacy to do what you want. The gym routine can be tailored to suit your personal style and body requirement. With no one to watch you at home, you are bound to be more comfortable and relaxed. You can exercise at your own pace as you have only your own self to compete with.
- When you work out at home, you are likely to be more regular because there are no excuses like traffic, rain, cold, no time, and all the other excuses we use to skip the gym. Hence there can be more consistency with fitness workouts at home.
5 simple fitness workouts that you can do at home
Try out the following simple exercises in the comfort of your home, without the stress of going to the gym or purchasing expensive equipment.
First, do a nice warm-up
- Put on your gym shoes and turn on some music. Start jogging on a treadmill, if you have one, or do it on the spot if you don’t. Start slowly at first and then pick up speed. There after maintain at medium paced jogging for roughly three minutes. Now, take a break for half a minute. Then start again, moving to fast-paced jogging for a duration of one full minute. Take a break for half a minute. Then, repeat the whole process once again.
- Another effective warm-up can be done by slowly walking around on your heels for one minute. Care has to be taken so that your toes do not touch the ground. Repeat twice after one-minute gaps.
- Other warm-up exercises include jumping jacks; arm circles, shoulder shrugs, and leg swings; or marching in place while swinging your arms
All this can be done while soaking in your favorite music.
An exercise that strengthens your upper body
This exercise combines plank with a push-up. It will help tone your arm muscles, as well as the muscles of your upper body, including shoulders and back
- Stand straight, feet together, hands along your body.
- Now bend slowly, so as to place your palms on the ground. Start moving your hands forward, one step at a time, till you achieve the plank position. Count till five.
- Now slowly and carefully, do a push-up. Stand up slowly and repeat the whole process once again.
- Aim for 10-12 repetitions, rest, and then do two more sets.
A healthy lower body workout
Squats are great workouts that help tone your leg muscles (quadriceps, hamstrings, and calves). They also help tone your glutes.
- Try this one standing straight, stretching your body as tall as possible.
- Then spread your feet about two to two and a half feet apart. Now raise your hands and clasp the fingers of one hand with those of the other behind the neck.
- Then bend your knees as far down as possible, almost as if you were sitting on a low stool. Count till five and then raise yourself up.
- Repeat 10 to 15 times. Try to do this exercise 2-3 times a week.
Lunges are a terrific workout for your legs
- Start by standing with hands by the sides.
- Then push the right leg forward and lower your body slowly and carefully so that the right knee is at a right angle.
- Count till five and then slowly and carefully, again raise your body, bringing back the right leg so that you are standing straight like before.
- Take deep breaths for half a minute. Then repeat, this time using the left leg.
- Repeat 5-10 times two to three times a week.
Jumping for overall good health
Exercises which involve jumping are also very good workouts.
- Start by standing straight with your arms folded in front of you or held by your sides.
- Now start lowering your body in such a manner that the knees are bent and hips are pushed back. Continue lowering your body so that your upper thighs are almost parallel to the ground. Count till five. Now jump high. You may need to raise your arms to help you rise up.
- Once you have landed without losing balance, repeat the whole exercise once again, after a gap of half a minute.
- Repeat 5-10 times two to three times a week
The bottom line for fitness workouts that you can do at home
It goes without saying that if you are a beginner doing these exercises for the very first time, you may experience body aches for the first few days. It’s important that you don’t let this lead you to skip a routine. Once your body gets used to these rigors you will start feeling sprightly. And, you will love the new well-toned look of your body.
Remember, there are many health and wellness benefits related to exercise and fitness no matter where you workout. But there are particular benefits to simple fitness workouts that you can do at home, such as cost and convenience. This may help home workouts become your exercise of choice.
**LOVE OUR CONTENT? SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER HERE**
First published 5/2/17, this post was reviewed and updated for republication on 5/6/20.