Uli Chettipally, MD, MPH
“... to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.”…Ralph Waldo Emerson
Uli K. Chettipally, MD, MPH, received his Doctor of Medicine from Osmania University, India. He earned his MPH in Epidemiology at the University of California, Los Angeles. He completed his residency in Emergency Medicine at LA County/King/Drew Medical Center in Los Angeles. Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Board Eligible in Clinical Informatics with medical licensure in California.
Dr. Chettipally is an emergency physician, researcher, author, and innovator. He is passionate about technology-enabled care and is well known for building technology platforms that can access EHR data to deliver clinical decision support to physicians.
His other roles include President at San Mateo County Medical Association; Advisor, Mentor, and Investor in various healthcare start-ups.
Awards and Recognition
• 2018 – Morris F. Collen Research Award by The Permanente Medical Group - “in recognition of significant contributions to scientific literature, and to the health of the communities we serve.”
• 2016 - Pioneer Award | by Kaiser Permanente Innovations for the design, development and deployment of a clinical decision support system for risk stratification called RISTRA.
• 2015 - White House Champions of Change in Precision Medicine | Invited by the White House to participate in a roundtable discussion on key areas of President Obama’s Precision Medicine Initiative.
• 2001-2008: Physician Leader, Emergency Prospective Review Program, Kaiser Permanente.
• 1993-1999: Chairman, Emergency Department, Kaiser Permanente, South San Francisco.
• 1992- 2019: Emergency physician and Senior Partner, The Permanente Medical Group, Inc., the largest multi-specialty physician group in the United States of America.
Innovation & Research
• 2019 – 2020: Clinical Advisor, Anthem
• 2007 – 2019: Co-Founder & Chief Technology Officer, CREST Network
• 2001 – 2019: Clinical Researcher, Kaiser Foundation Research Institute
• 2019- Current: Founder and President, InnovatorMD, a healthcare innovation company, the largest network of physician innovators and entrepreneurs.
• 2013 - Current: App Designer: Built and launched mobile apps for clinical use.
• 1999 - Current: Angel Investor, Mentor, and Advisor to various early-stage start-ups in Silicon Valley in the virtual care delivery, digital health, artificial intelligence, and medical device space.
• 2020 – Current: Member, Advisory Board of Directors, American Board of Artificial Intelligence in Medicine. Eugene, OR.
• 2016 – Current: President and Member, Board of Directors, San Mateo County Medical Association with a membership of over 1,000 physicians, San Mateo, CA.
• 2015 – 2020: Co-founder & Chairman, Society of Physician Entrepreneurs (SoPE), San Francisco Bay Area chapter: SoPE is a non-profit global biomedical and healthcare innovation network.
• 2014 – 2019: Assistant Clinical Professor of Medicine (volunteer faculty), University of California, San Francisco.
Publications and Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
Dr. Chettipally’s book, “Punish The Machine – The Promise of Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare” is available on Amazon.
As an author, he has published several chapters in books on artificial intelligence in healthcare, digital health, clinical healthcare delivery, and drug delivery.
Dr. Chettipally has co-authored over 35 peer-reviewed articles searchable on PubMed.gov, National Library of Medicine.
As an Editorial Board Member at The Doctor Weighs In, Dr. Chettipally medically reviews articles received for publication. Dr. Chettipally is also a contributing author to the website.